St Anne's Church New Hedges St Anne’s Church Tenby is part of the Rectorial Benefice of Tenby, now called the Caldey Local Ministry Area - a team of seven churches who strive to serve our local people and also the many thousands who visit us each year. We belong to the Diocese of St Davids in the Church in Wales and we hope people of all backgrounds and traditions will find a warm welcome here. St Anne's Church, New Hedges, Tenby St Anne's Church Map
  • St Anne's Church

    New Hedges

  • In The Caldey

    Local Ministry Area

Welcome to St Anne's

Welcome to the website for St Anne’s Church in New Hedges! St Anne’s Church is part of the Caldey Local Ministry Area - a family of seven churches who strive to serve our local people and also the many thousands who visit us each year. We belong to the Diocese of St Davids in the Church in Wales and we hope people of all backgrounds and traditions will find a warm welcome here. We recently joined up with the churches of Manorbier and St Florence to form the Caldey Local Ministry Area. We try to provide a variety of services in styles to suit different tastes, from the formal and traditional through to more modern and youth-orientated worship – always acknowledging our Anglican heritage. We have a strong commitment to children and young people, to pastoral care, to lay ministry and to our strong musical tradition. Above all we believe that Church life should be enjoyable and exciting, that the Church is a great celebration of God’s love, a celebration into which everyone is invited through Christ’s death and resurrection. Come and join us!

Events at St Anne's

This Week's Pew Leaflet

St Anne's and Caldey Local Ministry Area News




A History of St. Anne’s Church, New Hedges

New Hedges village hall was first built in 1853, and opened on 1st June that year. The intention was that it should be used as a village school for the poorer people of the area to give them the opportunity for better lives. It was the first purpose built school in the area – even Tenby didn’t have a purpose-built school building at the time.

Records show that six months after the school was opened, on 4th January 1854, the building was licensed for Divine Worship. John Duncan Meyers, an ordained Deacon, was licensed to the Assistant Curacy of New Hedges on 12th March 1854 at a salary of £25 per annum. From then onwards, until 1928 the building was used as a school and a church combined. On 5th July 1928 the church moved to the present building at the very Southern end of the village.

The school closed on 20th October 1961. Over 1,000 pupils had passed through its doors. A thriving Sunday School, however, continued to be held in the building until 1976.

Records show that at the time the building became a church, the Church Wardens were William Walhinton and Thomas Thomas. They were succeeded by John Henry Nash, until his death in 1925 and he, in turn, was succeeded as Warden by his son John Llewellyn Nash. The Verger at this time was Richard Butland.

In 1928 a new corrugated zinc church building was erected on land donated by the Nash family of Well Park, at the Southern edge of the village. It was one of a similarly designed range of churches known affectionately as “Tin Tabernacles” that were erected across South Wales and now remains one of only a few which are still in use today. The church will hold a congregation of about 50 worshippers.

The new church at St. Anne’s was dedicated by the Bishop of St. David’s the Rt. Revd. David Lewis Prosser on 5th July 1928. He and the large number of clergy attending, had to robe in the parlour of the adjacent Well Park farm, as there was no room in the church building. John Llewellyn Nash continued as Warden until 1964. He was succeeded by Howard Brace until his death. His son, Des Brace and Jean Williams are the current Wardens of the church. During the 1940’s Herbert Mason was Choirmaster. Organists, over the years have been Mr. Walter Bushell, Mrs. Wright and Miss Jean Williams, the present organist. The altar at present in the church is the same one which was originally in the old school building and was moved when the new church was built.

St. Anne’s has always been proud of its strong Sunday School. Superintendents, over the years, have included Mrs. Dorothy Thomas, Mrs. Hilda Owen, Mrs. Sarah Thomas, Mr. Herbert Mason, Mr. Roger Vickers. After Mr. Vickers, the Assistant Curates of St. Mary’s Church ran the Sunday School until, sadly, its closure in 1976.

In 2000, major refurbishment works were carried out on the building, and church bell, and a service of re-dedication was performed by the Rector of St. Mary’s, Canon David Jenkins, assisted by the Archdeacon of St. David’s, the Venerable Graham Davies on the feast day of St. Anne on 27th July 2001. Members from all the other churches in the benefice attended the impressive service. A beautifully designed new altar cloth, made and donated by Mrs. Doreen Hammersley had previously been dedicated by Revd Mark Soady.

St. Anne’s continues to have a faithful and dedicated membership who worship regularly each Sunday, and who continue to play a full and active part in the life of the benefice. With the appointment in 2015 of the Revd John Morgan as focal minister to the church, St. Anne’s can look to the future with confidence.



Caldey Local Ministry Area News



Advent Sunday Confirmation Celebration

From left to right - William Cahill, Ellie Davies, Nan Dowell, The Bishop of St. Davids The Right Reverend Joanna Penberthy,
Joshua Geertman, Curate Joel Barder, Melanie Paassen and Ellie Pearson.

“God has called you by name and made you His own”. These inspirational words express the meaning, truth and significance of Sunday’s Confirmation celebration at the first Sunday of Advent benefice service at St. Mary’s Church. Five candidates were in attendance to receive confirmation of their decision to formally enter membership of the church and were presented to The Bishop of St. Davids, The Right Reverend Joanna Penberthy during the Holy Eucharist. The candidates this year were William Cahill, Ellie Davies, Joshua Geertman, Melanie Paassen and Ellie Pearson. The young people were prepared for Confirmation by our Sunday Club leader, Nan Dowell, assisted by Curate Joel Barder. This was a truly joyous and uplifting event for Advent Sunday, at which time we prepare for the wonders of the birth of Jesus, a king born in a humble stable over two thousand years ago. Bishop Joanna spoke with great enthusiasm about the significance of Confirmation, it being the beginning of adult life within the church. She explained to us all, and particularly the candidates, about the meaning and relevance of God’s Holy Spirit being freely given to us all in our individual lives.

Children all over Pembrokeshire and, of course, all over the world, are already anticipating 25th December with growing excitement, with the prospect of the gifts they hope to receive. The enormous generosity of our community was again demonstrated on Sunday, when a mountain of beautiful gifts for children were on display in church. PATCH is a local charity, supporting families throughout the county who are suffering hardship and deprivation in its many forms. Its annual Toy Appeal was launched at the end of October and it was decided that this truly worthy cause would again be supported by the benefice. PATCH representatives, Tracy and Jan, attended the service on Sunday to receive the gifts and expressed their delight and amazement at the quantity of toys which had been donated.

The music for the service was arranged by Dr. John Harrison and Mark Thompson, with the organist being Clive Raymond in Dr. John’s forced absence, due to illness. We all send our good wishes to him, with prayers for a speedy recovery and return to St. Mary’s. The entire service was enhanced by the splendid renditions offered by the choir, particularly the motet, Come Down, O Love Divine. Following the service special celebratory cakes were served to the candidates, their friends and families and benefice members, bringing to a close a most enjoyable and important occasion.

Details of all events and services throughout Advent may be viewed on the notice board outside church and can also be found on the weekly pew leaflet and the church website.



St. Mary’s MU Support Plant Dewi Baby Bundle Project

At a recent meeting of St. Mary’s Mothers’ Union Samantha Duggan, the area representative of Plant Dewi, was warmly welcomed by all of our members. Sam is the brains behind the excellent Baby Bundle scheme, a project to support vulnerable families within the diocese of St. Davids. After a first class presentation concerning the work of Plant Dewi, Samantha was delighted to accept the tremendous quantity of clothes and equipment which had been collected in order to support this essential scheme. Our leader, Ellen, along with the committee members, would like to sincerely thank members of MU, parishioners at St. Mary’s and friends in the wider community for their generosity and kindness shown in providing so many items for new babies whose families need a helping hand at a very expensive time.

Samantha Duggan is seen at the centre of the group of MU members, displaying some of the beautiful clothing donated.



The New Bishop of St David's visits St Mary's

Sunday 3rd September a special day at St Mary`s Church Tenby. The first visit of Bishop Joanna, Bishop of St Davids many visitors joined our church family for our Patronal festival and to celebrate the work of The Friends of St Mary`s. During the service representatives of Dementia UK and Tenby Talking books accepted cheques for £1800 each towards the wonderful work they do. This money was from donations given during our Posy Festival held earlier in the summer.

Samantha Duggan is seen at the centre of the group of MU members, displaying some of the beautiful clothing donated.



Joel Barder's Ordination

Here are some photographs to celebrate Joel Barder's ordination at the Cathedral, and his first Holy Eucharist in St Mary's Church on 25th June 2017. We all wish you many congratulations Joel!





Popular Pages













Caldey Local Ministry Area Videos


...

The Caldey Ministry Area Family of 7 Churches

St Mary's

St Anne's

St James

St Julian's

St Nicholas and St Teilo's

St Florence's

St Lawrence's